We know for sure that maritime and agricultural tribes settled in this coastal area in the late Neolithic era (3000-2000 a.C).
In the Middle Ages: “la Pellosa” (in 1049) or “basso della Pelosa”, has always been the maritime extension of Noicattaro. During Feudalism, Noha, was a county first and then became, with Bona Sforza and the Carafa, dukedom of Noja. The sixteenth-century splendor of the castle is linked to the “Grotta della Regina” (the queen’s cave) that was also called “del Duca” (which means belonging to the duke) because it became the “beach” for the “Lords” of the area.
The Modern Age begins, in our story, with the construction of a tower built in those years (1563-73) to dominate the sea and scan the horizon that will name the newborn village. Torre a Mare will always keep the original attribute of Torre Pelosa (Hairy Tower) though. The tower brought new life to the fishermen of the area because it made the coast safer avoiding barbarian attacks and the incursion of arabs ,muslims, saracenic and Turkish.
Centuries will go by before the village started to grow with the first fishermen houses and the summer houses of the “Lords”! In 1865 the first train arrived followed by the telegraph, a school, an aqueduct and electricity. The village, eradicated from Noicattaro during fascism, was born and it is no more called Torre Pelosa.